Jonesboro Personal Injury Lawyers

Table of Contents hide
1 Jonesboro Personal Injury Lawyers
1.4 Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Dedicated Jonesboro Personal Injury Attorneys Ready To Assist You

A lawyer handling a personal injury case in Jonesboro.The people of Jonesboro, GA (Clayton County) need someone to fight for them. After all, we can’t always count on other people to keep us safe, nor can we depend on the justice system to work well on its own every single time. T. Madden & Associates, P.C. has a highly skilled Jonesboro personal injury lawyer that fights for financial compensation for people injured by negligence in and around Jonesboro and greater Atlanta.

We know how easily an accidental injury can transpire. It happens every day. We also understand how profoundly an unintended injury can impact your whole life.

Whether it’s a car crash, a workplace injury, an encounter with the police, or a doctor’s visit gone wrong, the perils of personal injury pose real and persistent threats in Jonesboro, GA. So many of these hardships could be avoided if people simply acted reasonably, carefully, and within the confines of the law. Too often, though, they don’t.

In a perfect world, when someone else acts negligently and then inadvertently causes you harm, that person would step up to the plate and pay for all of the costs and losses associated with that injury.

But this isn’t a perfect world. This is a world in which insurance companies, corporate employers, governmental organizations, and other giants use their enormous power to keep people like you from getting the justice you deserve.

We know that battle. We’ve been there. More importantly, we know how to win that battle. We’ve been there too.

As personal injury attorneys in Jonesboro, we have achieved a proud and impressive record of results for the people of Clayton County. We believe in pursuing maximum compensation for our clients, precisely because we know how important that compensation is.

You didn’t deserve to be injured. You don’t deserve to suffer for that injury either. You certainly don’t deserve to pay for it. Take a stand for justice. Call our Jonesboro personal injury attorneys at T. Madden & Associates, P.C. today.

Our Jonesboro Practice Areas

Georgia personal injury law covers many different injuries, ranging from common and ordinary accidents to overwhelmingly catastrophic cases. No two cases are identical. Your facts always matter, and you deserve our dedicated Jonesboro personal injury lawyers who will listen to you.

Our experienced Jonesboro injury lawyers are available to assist with these and many other personal injury cases:

Why We Love Jonesboro

An attorney and her client talking about a personal injury case in Jonesboro.Atlantans know Jonesboro, Riverdale, Morrow, Forest Park, and College Park as some of their most recognizable neighbors; fixtures along the I-75 /285 corridor. But as Jonesboro injury lawyers, we know it’s so much more than that.

Jonesboro, GA is defined by a community of families that love and support each other – families of all kinds. It is children who study hard in school, parents who work hard to provide for those children, and commuters who travel throughout Georgia to make the Peach State strong.

This is the place that helped bring the Civil War to an end. It is a place that welcomed so many artists and celebrities into this world – singers, athletes, and medical trailblazers among them. It is the place that gave us the iconic setting in Margaret Mitchell’s Gone with the Wind.

We are proud to represent and support Jonesboro and the rest of Clayton County. Wherever you may reside in Clayton County or beyond, we want you to know that our Jonesboro personal injury attorneys are here for you.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

What are the first steps I should take if I was injured in an accident that was not my fault?

If you were involved in any type of accident, such as a motor vehicle accident, the first thing you should do is seek medical attention. While accidents often result in serious and obvious injuries, there are many types of injuries that individuals do not feel or experience until a few days or even weeks after the accident. These often include injuries to soft tissue, ligaments, joints, and cartilage (such as vertebral discs). Therefore, it is very important to seek medical care as soon as possible after an accident.

It is also very important to document your observations and the facts surrounding the accident while the incident is fresh in your memory. Gather as much evidence as you can from the scene of the accident, including taking pictures and writing down the license plate numbers of those who may have witnessed the incident. If witnesses will share their names and numbers; even better.  Do not feel the need to question these individuals yourself; by having license plate numbers, the police may be able to contact them to get their statements.

Also, it is very important to refrain from giving statements to insurance company representatives who may begin to contact you immediately following the accident. Before speaking with the defendant’s insurance company – and certainly before accepting any offers of settlement – seek legal counsel. Remember, the goal of insurance company representatives is to pay out as little money as possible as quickly as possible. If you do not have legal representation, you tend to serve as an “easy target” for lowball offers. Your case will be handled very differently when you have our proven Jonesboro personal injury attorney fighting for you.

Do I need an attorney if I wish to bring a personal injury lawsuit against the person who caused my accident?

While hiring legal counsel is not required by law to bring a personal injury lawsuit, there are many reasons why it is in your best interest to do so. Here are just some of the things an experienced Jonesboro personal injury lawyer will do for you and your case:

  • Assure that your case is a priority and that all deadlines and timelines are followed
  • Handle all documents to be filed with the court
  • Handle all communications and negotiation talks with the insurance companies involved
  • Fight hard on your behalf to ensure you receive the maximum compensation that you deserve
  • Investigate the facts to determine all potential defendants (such as the individual(s) who acted negligently, employers, companies, government agencies, etc.)
  • Identify and gather all relevant information, including medical records, police reports, witness statements, video surveillance, etc.
  • Handle all necessary litigation – including requesting discovery, attending hearings, conducting the final trial, and preparing any necessary appeals

What if I don’t know who caused the accident?

The aftermath of an accident – especially one where you experience injuries – can be chaotic and confusing. During this time, you may not have the wherewithal to identify all potential parties responsible for your accident. Fact-gathering and investigation are therefore very important.

Experienced, reputable, and proven Jonesboro personal injury lawyers will conduct a comprehensive investigation to determine who or what may have caused your injuries; then, they will dig deeper to determine if anyone else may be held liable.

What if I may be partially at fault for my accident?

Even if you believe you were partially responsible for the accident that caused your injury, all hope is not lost. In fact, after a close review of the facts, you may find you were not at all at fault.

However, even if you had some part in causing your accident, you may be able to recover compensation from the other parties involved. This is a complex factual and legal determination that is difficult to ascertain without the guidance of experienced legal counsel. Contact our highly skilled Jonesboro personal injury attorneys for more information regarding this matter or others.

Is there a difference between a workers’ compensation claim and a personal injury lawsuit?

Yes. There is a difference between workers’ comp claims and personal injury lawsuits; though an attorney should be consulted, because sometimes you may have both a Worker’s Comp claim in addition to a Personal Injury Claim. One important difference is that they are each governed by different Georgia laws.

  • While workers’ comp claims are initiated and administered by the Georgia State Board of Workers’ Compensation, personal injury lawsuits are brought in state courts.
    • The State Board of Workers’ Comp is an administrative agency governed by a specific set of rules and regulations.
    • Personal injury lawsuits are governed by court rules and procedures.
    • The processes are similar but different – including time limits in which to bring claims.
  • Georgia’s workers’ compensation system is what is considered a “no-fault system.” Essentially, this means that injured workers do not have the burden of showing the employer was negligent to receive benefits. Conversely, injured workers may not bring personal injury lawsuits against their employers for injuries suffered most of the time.
  • For a plaintiff to bring a successful personal injury lawsuit, he or she has the burden to sufficiently demonstrate negligence on the part of the defendant(s).
  • Workers’ comp benefits and personal injury lawsuit recoveries are very different.

What kind of damages might I be entitled to?

Under Georgia law, you might be entitled to compensation for:

  • Medical expenses
  • Lost earnings
  • Pain and suffering
  • Permanent disability
  • Future lost earning capacity
  • Loss of consortium (damage to your marital relationship caused by your injuries), and/or
  • Punitive damages (in unusual cases).

Should I sue or settle?

Although a private settlement is usually preferable, you might have to file a lawsuit to stimulate the defendant to issue a reasonable settlement offer. Once in a while (less than ten percent of the time), it is necessary to proceed to trial.

What is a deposition?

A deposition is a proceeding in which witnesses (perhaps including the accident victim) are asked questions under oath. Although there is no judge or jury, the witness’ answers can be admitted as evidence at trial. A deposition can also be used as a basis for a settlement.

Can I still win if the accident was partly my fault?

You can still collect damages as long as you were less than 50 percent at fault for the accident. Your damages will be reduced by your percentage of fault. If you were 50 percent or more at fault, you will be ineligible for damages.

How common are truck accidents?

According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, about 4,000 people a year are killed in big rig truck accidents, and over 100,000 people are injured. That means someone is injured in a truck accident about every five minutes.

How should a truck accident claim be investigated?

A thorough investigation should gather:

  • A copy of the police report
  • Statements from witnesses
  • Details of the scene of the accident, including photos
  • Information from the truck’s Event Data Recorder (like an airliner’s “black box”), and
  • A copy of the driver’s Driver Qualification File from the trucking company.

Is Georgia a “fault” or a “no-fault” auto insurance jurisdiction?

Georgia is a “fault” auto insurance state, meaning that if you were injured by an at-fault driver, you can sue the driver or file a claim against his insurance company without having to resort to your insurance coverage.

How much auto insurance is Georgia motorists required to carry?

The minimum auto insurance requirement is:

  • $25,000 per personal injury victim
  • $50,000 per personal injury accident, and
  • $25,000 for property damage

Does Georgia have a dram shop law?

Yes. Under Georgia’s dram shop law, someone who serves alcohol to a driver who later causes a traffic accident injury can be held liable. Liability kicks in if the server knew that the driver would soon be operating a motor vehicle, and if the driver:

  • was a minor under 21, or
  • was visibly intoxicated at the time he was served

If the server was an on-duty employee, his employer can also be held liable. If you have more questions regarding this or other matters please contact our Jonesboro personal injury attorney.

Who files the lawsuit if the victim died in the accident?

If the victim dies in the accident, the claim becomes a wrongful death claim. If the victim is an adult, the spouse normally files the claim. Depending on the circumstances(who the survivors are), the children, parents, or even the personal representative of the victim’s estate can file a wrongful death lawsuit.

Who should be the defendant if the accident was caused by a malfunctioning auto part?

It depends. If the part malfunctioned due to faulty maintenance, then whoever was responsible for maintaining the vehicle should be the defendant. If the part was itself defective and unreasonably dangerous, you could file a product liability claim against the manufacturer or distributor of the part.

Am I eligible for punitive damages?

Most victims are not eligible for punitive damages, although some are. To win punitive damages, you must prove by “clear and convincing evidence” that the defendant acted with malice, fraud, willful misconduct, wantonness, oppression, or similar intent. A “road rage” incident in which the defendant intentionally rammed you might qualify, for example. Punitive damages are awarded in addition to compensatory damages.

How long do I have to file a lawsuit?

Generally, you have two years from the date of the accident to file a personal injury lawsuit. You have two years from the date of death, however, to file a wrongful death claim. You have four years from the date of the accident to file a claim for property damage. If you are unsure about your specific case, contact our Jonesboro personal injury attorneys today for a free consultation.

I would rather settle my claim out of court. Do I still need a lawyer?

Yes. You will likely be sitting across the table from an insurance adjuster or a legal practitioner for the insurance company. In either case, your opponent will be a professional negotiator whose sole purpose will be to reduce or deny your claim. Having our proven and winning Jonesboro personal injury lawyer on your side will help you get fair and just compensation.

What Is the Statute of Limitations for a Personal Injury Lawsuit?

Generally, you have two years from the date of the accident to file a personal injury lawsuit. You have two years from the date of death, however, to file a wrongful death claim. You have four years from the date of the accident to file a claim for property damage. If you are unsure about your specific case, contact our injury attorneys today for a free consultation.

Are there Exceptions to the Statute of Limitations?

Certain exceptions apply to the statute of limitations, although they are limited. The following are some of the most common.


If you were under a disability (under 18 or mentally incompetent at the time of your injury), the statute of limitations clock does not begin ticking until you reach 18 or you regain mental competence, whichever applies. If you were 16 at the time of your injury, for example, you have until two years after you turn 18 (your 20th birthday) to file a lawsuit.

Suing a State Government Entity

Special conditions apply if you intend to sue a state government entity. You cannot sue at all for certain discretionary actions (the decision not to widen a road, for example). When you can sue, you must notify the state government within one year of the date of the accident. You must also complete a lot of paperwork.

Separate notification requirements apply to lawsuits against the city, county, and federal governments. Consult with a lawyer before attempting to sue a government entity.

Your Claim Arises out of the Commission of a Crime

If your claim arose out of the commission of a crime, the judge has the discretion to suspend the running of the statute of limitations until the criminal case is resolved. If you are suing for wrongful death over a murder, for example, the judge can decree that the two-year statute of limitations clock doesn’t begin running until the criminal court resolves the murder case against the defendant.

Other (less common) exceptions exist as well.

Schedule a Free Consultation Today with Our Jonesboro Personal Injury Lawyer

If you’ve been unfairly injured in or around Jonesboro or its larger neighbor Atlanta, Georgia, we can help. You may be entitled to substantial financial compensation for your losses, which may include:

  • Time away from work
  • Lost income
  • Medical bills
  • Hospital bills
  • Physical pain and suffering
  • Emotional distress
  • Loss of support
  • And more, depending on the circumstances of your case

We proudly offer free case consultations in Jonesboro– in person, online, or over the phone. It’s your chance to ask questions before moving forward. And if we do accept your case, we promise that we will not charge you one penny unless (and until) we recover compensation on your behalf. Our Jonesboro personal injury lawyer has your best interest at heart.

Please contact our Jonesboro personal injury attorneys online to get started today.

T. Madden & Associates P. C.
114 S Main St
Jonesboro, GA 30236
Phone: 770-978-6711