Car Accidents -
Driving with Rideshare Apps
The convenience of ridesharing apps like Lyft and Uber has transformed transportation, making it easier than ever to get around. For the drivers who keep these apps running, however, the convenience comes with a hidden price: increased risk of accidents and limited legal protection.
Dangers of Driving for Ridesharing Apps:
- Increased Risk of Accidents: Ridesharing drivers spend significantly more hours on the road than the average driver, increasing their exposure to potential accidents by as much as 500%. This extended time on the road also leads to fatigue and distractions, further amplifying the risk. Additionally, drivers may encounter unpredictable passengers and navigate congested traffic, creating a more hazardous environment.
- Limited Legal Protection: While ridesharing apps provide some insurance coverage, they often fall short of fully protecting drivers in the event of an accident. This leaves drivers vulnerable to significant financial burdens if they are injured or their vehicles are damaged. Typically, ridesharing insurance only covers drivers when they are engaged in a trip, meaning they are actively carrying passengers or on their way to pick them up. During periods of driver downtime, such as waiting for a ride request, the driver’s personal insurance policy applies, which may not provide adequate coverage.
Accidents by the Numbers:
- A 2019 study by Rand Corporation found that ridesharing app use is associated with an 8.8% increase in fatal traffic crashes in U.S. cities.
- A 2020 study by the University of Chicago found that Uber drivers are 25% more likely to be involved in accidents than taxi drivers.
- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) data indicates that fatal crashes involving ridesharing vehicles increased 51% between 2015 and 2018.
What to Do After a Ridesharing Accident:
- Stay Calm and Ensure Safety: Check yourself and others for injuries and call 911 if necessary.
- Gather Evidence: Take photos of the accident scene, damage to vehicles, and any visible injuries. Obtain contact information from all involved parties and witnesses.
- Report the Accident: Report the accident to the ridesharing app and your personal insurance company immediately.
- Seek Medical Attention: Even if you don’t feel immediate pain, it’s crucial to get evaluated by a medical professional to diagnose potential injuries.
- Contact a Personal Injury Attorney: An experienced attorney can help navigate the complex legal process, ensure you receive fair compensation, and protect your rights.
T. Madden & Associates, P.C.: Your Champion After a Ridesharing Accident:
If you have been injured in a Lyft or Uber accident, don’t face the legal challenges alone. T. Madden & Associates, P.C. has a proven track record of success in representing ridesharing drivers and securing them the compensation they deserve.
Our team of skilled attorneys will:
- Thoroughly investigate your accident and gather evidence. We will obtain police reports, witness statements, and medical records to build a strong legal case.
- Negotiate with the ridesharing app’s insurance company on your behalf. We will aggressively fight for the maximum compensation you deserve for your injuries, lost wages, and vehicle damage.
- Protect your rights and ensure you receive full compensation. We will handle all communication with the insurance company and legal proceedings, so you can focus on your recovery.
- Provide compassionate and personalized legal representation throughout the process. We understand that dealing with the aftermath of an accident can be stressful, and we will be there to support you every step of the way.
Get the Help You Deserve:
Contact T. Madden & Associates, P.C. today for a free consultation to discuss your legal options after a ridesharing accident. We are dedicated to fighting for the rights of injured drivers and helping them get back on their feet.
Remember, you are not alone. We are here to help.