Personal Injury Compensation
Steps to Maximizing Your Recovery After an Automobile Accident (Collision)
WHAM! If you have ever been involved in an automobile accident then you know your life can be altered in a split second. In fact, we should stop referring to them as accidents….most are caused because someone was negligent while driving. Thus they are not accidents, but collisions. When the collision is not your fault, you deserve to be fully compensated for your property damage, your medical bills, your missed time from work, and your pain and suffering. Even when you are partially at fault, you may still be able to make a monetary recovery. There are a few simple steps you can take to strategically maximize your recovery.
1. At The Scene of the Collision, When Physically Able
- Call 911 and request an officer to make a report
- If you are not at fault, request the officer issue a traffic citation (following too closely, failure to yield the right of way, etc.) when the circumstances dictate
- Take pictures of all automobiles involved and the scene
- If the police officer does not collect insurance information and you are physically able, exchange insurance information including the name of the insurance company, the name of the insured(s), and the policy number with the other driver(s) involved
- Ask any witness(es) for their name, address, email address, and phone numbers
- When the police officer arrives, report any injuries including headaches and sore joints
2. Immediately After the Collision
- Do NOT hesitate to seek the medical care you need or to leave by ambulance if necessary
- Be very descriptive in reporting your injuries to make sure they are properly documented
- For non-emergency injuries, follow up with the medical care necessary or that which is ordered by medical professionals
- Document lost time from work and obtain a doctor’s report stating you are unable to work
- Consult with an experienced personal injury attorney
3. Choose the Right Personal Injury Attorney for Your Claim
Perhaps the most critical step in maximizing your recovery after being injured in an automobile collision is to choose the right personal injury attorney for your case. The wrong choice can limit your recovery.
First, an experienced injury attorney will know the nuances of Personal Injury Law. This is not a time to choose a family law or bankruptcy attorney who also “does” personal injury. Just like every area of law, laws regulating the area of personal injury change and are intricate in nature. Thus, you want a specialist. Just as you would not go to an ear nose and throat doctor to perform brain surgery, it is not advisable to seek an attorney to take your personal injury case if they don’t concentrate their practice in handling personal injury cases.
Secondly, an experienced personal injury attorney uses their experience to skillfully draft a demand package and masterfully negotiate a settlement on your behalf; but would be ready to take your case to trial when necessary. The insurance companies know that not all attorneys have the trial experience necessary to receive an award fully compensating their clients in court and many times will only offer an amount that is less than the claim is worth.
Third, an experienced personal injury attorney knows the intricacies and nuances of the legal process in Georgia. There are different damages that may be compensated to injured parties based on numerous factors. An experienced personal injury attorney will tailor your case to maximize the potential verdict a jury may award for your injuries.
Lastly, a personal injury attorney with a proven track record of winning personal injury cases in court will receive more serious offers from the insurance company based on his reputation alone.
As you can see, a personal injury claim arising from an automobile collision can be very complex. To ensure you receive the full recovery you deserve, you should contact an experienced personal injury attorney. If you are in a collision, call The Atlanta Serious Injury Attorney, Terance Madden, at 770-978-6711. Turning Injury To Cash. Visit your law firm at our website: www.tmaddenlaw.com.
T. Madden & Associates | www.tmaddenlaw.com | 770-978-6711